These cookies need few ingredients, are super easy to make (I even get my 18 month involved!) and are great to bake when exploring animal themed books, such as ‘We’re going on a Bear Hunt‘ or ‘The Tiger Who Came to Tea‘. Please do let me know which other books you bake them for!!
220g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
80g brown sugar
A dash of vanillla essence
Chocolate buttons (giant ones are best but they’d still work with the smaller size!)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180º.
2. Beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl.
Captain America measuring out the ingredients. (Excuse the unpainted walls!!)
3. Add the egg and vanilla essence and continue to beat.
4. Sift the self raising flour to remove lumps (although ours is packed away somewhere so we didn’t first time round and they came out fine!) and combine until the mixture forms a sticky dough.
5. Roll the mixture into little balls and place on a greased, or non-stick, baking tray and squash down slightly.
6. Bake for 8/9 minutes and remove them whilst they’re still a teeny bit soft.
7. Once cooled, add a chocolate button to the middle of the paw and break the rest in half to make little claws. They will likely start to melt a bit as the cookies will still be warm.
Baking with little hands involved means things will never be picture perfect but the kids won’t mind at all because they cookies are delicious!
Don’t forget to use the hashtag #changingthetale on Instagram if you make them – I’d love to see!